Saturday, December 5, 2009

Reality check

The following is an excerpt from NAMI's website (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill).

---

The Washington Post reports that the 2009 Army suicide rate is expected top last year's record high.

As of Nov. 16, 140 soldiers on active duty and 71 soldiers not on active duty were thought to have died by suicide. The monthly suicide rate has generally declined since March, which may be in part the result of a campaign to engage more Army leaders in suicide prevention efforts.

-----


I never gave pause to think of what the suicide rate in the military might be. I suppose I am not surprised that a significant number take their lives each year, thinking of what the horrors of war can do to the human psyche.


In other news, Amanda Knox and her Italian then-boyfriend were found guilty on Thursday of murdering that British exchange student, Meridith Kercher. They maintain their innocence, and I withhold any opinion on their veracity or lack thereof. Maybe they did it, maybe they didn't. Point being, someone took this woman's life, and when any life is lost it is a lamentable thing. I am always amazed at the depths to which the human person can sink, and the darkness we are capable of. My heart also hurts for the millions of young adults who live in ways similar to how I can only assume those students were living. To allow many beautiful mysteries to be unveiled so easily, and by people who don't even care in the end.

I want more from life than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment